The Lime & Violet Knit Along!

Fans of the Lime and Violet Podcast can show their colors with Lisa Souza Lime & Violet sock yarn. The projects are as varied as Lime & Violet's audience -- the common thread is the awesome yarn.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Jaywalker mods

I was asked what I did to make my Jaywalkers smaller - so an update! I knit loosely and have a small foot and when I just follow a pattern it's way too big for me.

I used size 1 (started with dpn's and then changed to 2 circulars) and cast on 68 stitches. I made myself a chart with the pattern - where Kathy said 76 or 84 cast on I wrote 68 or 60 figuring that she had a difference of 8. I used the 68 stitch cast on based on my gauge and foot size, 17 stitches per 4 needles. In the pattern she uses either 7 or 8 knits in between the increases and decreases so I used 6 (I would have used 5 if I did the 60 stitch cast on.

Again I made a chart for the heel and did the flap on 17 stitches and adjusted it all accordingly. You can tell from the pattern how many stitches to adjust when the designer gives you 2 sizes. If you want to go smaller or larger, just do the same adjustment.

I hope that made sense K, when I first started socks and knitting and changing patterns, it was hard, kind of like when you learn to cook and don't deviate from a recipe.

But knitting IS just like cooking. It's fine to deviate (and encouraged in certain circles) and makes things interesting. But while I'm learning I like to lean on the recipe a bit. Part of my multiple casting on for these socks was because I cast on 76 the first time and then 60 the next. And 68 has become my magic number! But my current pair is 60 stitches on size 0's so again, you have to vary your numbers based on the yarn and your.........gauge swatch!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Kathleen said…

    Thanks,I think I'm going to cast on again with fewer stitches and see how they look. I did do a gauge swatch, but I may be knitting a little looser on the sock. I haven't gotten comfortable with changing patterns yet, I always follow directions exactly. I need to relax a little.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home